Friday 5 June 2009

Dimitar Berbatov to shine next season

Berba tipped for starring role
Teddy Sheringham is tipping Dimitar Berbatov to have a bigger impact at Old Trafford in his second season as a United player.

The Bulgarian striker bagged 14 goals and countless assists in his maiden Reds campaign, but is still to win over everybody after commanding a transfer fee in excess of £30million. Having trodden the same path from Tottenham, and taken time to settle as a United player, Treble-winning striker Sheringham expects Berbatov to convince his doubters next term.

"He is an outstanding player," Sheringham told the Manchester Evening News. "Sometimes it takes people longer to fit in at a club in terms of the lifestyle and the football, which is probably what’s happened to him.

"But I’ve watched him and I’ve every confidence he will be even better next season. I’ve seen him be outstanding for Tottenham and I’m sure he will be again."

Berbatov's equanimity in possession is in stark contrast to the likes of firebrand forwards like Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez, but Sheringham - never known for blistering pace himself - deems it harsh to compare the Bulgarian to his all-action colleagues.

“I was very similar to Berbatov in terms of the way I looked as a player,” he said. “I didn’t look like I was running around either. But just because he is not like Rooney or Tevez doesn’t mean he doesn’t work."


source: www.manutd.com 04/06/2009 07:00, Report by Steve Bartram

No comments: