Saturday 20 October 2007

Russia v. England: My Opinion

Steve MacClaren's team selection in the first half was OK to me and it seemed it would end well!

But after seeing the first half action and England going one goal ahead, I would have thought differently from the England manager, Steve and and his assistant Terry Venables, in the early second half minutes.
Here was my second half plan.
After 10 to 15 minutes of the second half I would have made the following substitutions:
I would have taken off Michael Owen and Leon Lescott and called in Frank Lampard and Nicky Shorey in their place. This would make Wayne Rooney a lone striker, the role which he is capable of!
The tactic would have aimed to contain Russia players who clearly seemed to dominate the midfield area and our left back Lescott had started to loose pace and marking!

If these 'substitutions' were to be done in time, I hope England wouldn't have had the same game and result as it happened to be, and Rooney of all people wouldn't be back as far as the 18 yard area to concede a penalty!

All in all, whether England qualifies for Euro 2008 or not, I would give Steve MacClaren another chance to prove himself! Because he is capable of and he deserves it!

All the best Steve and England!

No comments: