Thursday 27 March 2008

'Precious Ramotswe'

In the drama 'The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' Jill Scoll plays as Precious Ramotswe or 'Mme Mma Ramotswe'.
To be honest, she is naturally beautiful, blessed with an african or a bantu woman figure! She has got nice legs, boobs and a beautiful face! (Almost the same ingredients that my wife has!!!!)
Many people have loved this TV drama which appeared on the telly (BBC1) on Easter Sunday 9:00pm.
This week, bookshops have been filled up by customers queing to buy copies of the book by A M Smith from which the TV drama is based. Also in her official website fans have been pouring praises. Here is a what her fans had to say:
..................................................
51 Responses to “No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Debuts On BBC”
(source: www.jillscott.com)
..................................................

R McDowell, Edinburgh. Mar 24, 2008
Jill’s performance in No.1 Ladies Detective Agency was stunning, complex, full of energy, loads of positive emotion and very much in line with the books - a fantastic achievement. Her main supporting actors, especially Lucian Msamati who is an actor of gigantic range and depth, are also wonderful. The reviews in the UK have been fully fulsome in their praise. I look forward to seeing much more of Jill. She learned the South African/ Botswana accent and mannerisms perfectly and seemed effortlessly comfortable in the ‘traditionally built’ role of Precious Ma Ramotswe - what a star! I know that the author Sandy McCall-Smith, his many friends and all who know the Botswana series books are delighted - a wonderful tribute too to the Director Anthony Minghella whose untimely death we all mourn.
........................................

Rachel. Mar 24, 2008
I was really impressed with the entire program, it was well written and it’s great to see an ALL black cast positively portrayed for a change. This was highly anticipated as I was aware Jill had been working on this film from the beginning of 2007.
I’m really happy with the end result, the quality of acting from all the cast (and in particular Jill) was fantastic. In addition to her African accent - which I think can often be difficult for Americans to achieve. She looked beautiful in every single worn, I was left wanting more, my girlfriends and I were all on the phone afterwards discussing it. I just don’t understand why we have to wait another year before an entire series is shown! Will Jill be playing Patience? I hope so. Keep up the fantastic work Jill!!
..............................

David, Wolverhampton. Mar 24, 2008
Oh man, what can I say other than “fantastic”.
Jill had the accent and the african flavour down so well it stimulated a debate in our house about whether she was born and brought up in Botswana. Great advert for the Botswana tourist board too, I guess.
Enjoyed the programme, enjoyed the acting - she can sing, she can act, she is so pretty - don’t you just hate that?lol.
....................................

Selina. Mar 24, 2008
this was amazing stuff jill your a true artist in every sense of the word.it had me laughing at times sad in parts every sort of emotion occured while watching i’m in awe by how good you are at everything you put your mind to do fabulous.
.............................

Dominic, Oxford/London. Mar 24, 2008
Jill you were stunning…left me with a real feel good factor…the show was a refreshing change and a great inspiration to myself and I’m sure a whole lot of other people. You are a success in every sense of the word. Peace & Blessings & Happy Easter!
..............................

Libby, Blackpool. Mar 24, 2008
I loved it and so did the rest of my family i cant wait for the series
..............................

A Kitt,Washington Dc. Mar 24, 2008
I didn’t catch this one but ill be sure to cath the next one to catch up
..............................

J dean. Mar 24, 2008
Omgd that was hot, I was impressed with Jill scott’s acting..she so killed the performance. She is so beautiful and talented. I loved the whole scenery Jill seemed in touch with her character.
......................

Teinisha, St.Louis. Mar 24, 2008
are they gonna re-air it?
.........................

A Azad, Slough. Mar 24, 2008
I couldn’t believe my eyes! An absolutely fantastic performance and a thorough joy to watch and hear. I loved the first program and can’t wait to see the rest. It’s a shame that more of the world’s countries do not have such respecting communities that come together. This is what I loved when I last visited South Africa and this program brought back all the amazing memories. I’ve been listening to Jill also for a long time and am more over-joyed than anything for her and to have seen in acting. Well done and please keep us entertained with that beautiful figure and accent. x
.............................

Tendai. Mar 24, 2008
I watched No1 Ladies Detective Agency last night on BBC and I absolutely loved it!!! I am an African woman from Zimbabwe and I felt that Jill did a perfect representation of all African women in general. We r vibrant, beautiful, intelliegent and passionate human beings. I get really tired and frustrated when i see us being represented as empty vessels and baby factories. Jill u deserve an oscar for that performance. Thank u.
...............................

shon. Mar 24, 2008
Jill

I am loving your new album…Its so real! I went through a lot in my life after my divorce….so I can feel your heart!
..............................

Audrey, London. Mar 25, 2008 at 12:27 am
Absolutely stunning!
It left me with a wonderful feel good experience. The spirit of Africa was captured so amazingly I wanted to climb inside the TV and live it! I pay tribute to the director Anthony Minghella for bringing this to life.
The performances were fabulous and Jill, your role as Precious Ramotswe was captivating, bold and beautiful. Well done! You nailed it girl!!
Two days after the broadcast I’m still smiling…I look forwards to the serialisation.
Big love from London.
...............................

S Beaton, Southampton. Mar 25, 2008
The BBC is undoubtedly on to a winner here. Beautifully shot (the director of the upcoming TV series has got a hard act to follow)… Very sadly, this turned out to be Anthony Minghella’s last movie… But what a movie to be remembered by. Beautifully acted by the entire cast. Great script too… Jill Scott is one heck of an actress…. Infectious… Dramatic… On point… Great timing with the comedic moments… Heartfelt in the more serious ones. Check out the tension in the scene with ‘Stringer Bell’ . Jill Scott is perfect for this role….
And the film itself just immerses the audience in the sheer joy of story-telling. You will be glad to be alive after seeing this movie. Your faith will be restored in the human race.
I believe I read in The Observer that this was a co-production with HBO… So you good folks in America should be seeing this film soon…
PS: Jill is a great kisser … Just ask Kremlin
.........................

G Scott, Hertfordshire. Mar 25, 2008
I’ve read all the ‘No 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency’ books, except for the new one. Love them all; it’s like visiting old friends. Seeing them come to life on the small screen was a delight. And Jill IS Precious Ramotswe. Can’t wait for the series - next year seems a long time to wait!
...........................

Helen, Cardiff. Mar 25, 2008
Jill Scott is superb. Strong, beautiful, vulnerable, gorgeous and highly entertaining. Complete pleasure to watch.
................................

Vonny, south of France. Mar 25, 2008
Watched this wonderful tv film last night and was absolutely charmed! Have read all of AMS’s books and was so excited to see the film. Jill, you were brilliant, I really believed in you, bravo! Can’t wait to see the following books made into film. Good luck, you are a beautiful, talented lady!
................................

Ali, Manchester. Mar 25, 2008
WOW!! I missed the beginning credits so didn’t realise it was Jill Scott ’til the end! She was marvelous and suited the role perfectly! I was very impressed by all the cast - it was so good to see such a positive and uplifting programme from a country that most people associate (sadly) with other issues. Well done Jill! You have a new fan!
..............................

v ngonyama. Mar 25, 2008
This is beautiful how she’s taken this role.Cant express it quite enough,but beautiful is the best I can come up with.
She fits in perfect and has embraced the local accent and norms.Beautifully played
................................

Soul, London. Mar 25, 2008
Wow is all I can say. I was waiting to watch that since 2007 and I so was not disappointed. It reminded me of back home, Zimbabwe. Your accent was so on point it was amazing. You could pass for a Southern African anyday. Brilliant performace that was! Still can’t get over it. Lucian Msamati was representing my people well… I’m proud of him too. Keep up the good work.
Nuff Agape
P.S Kremlin has a lot of game…lol…
..................................

Jennifer, London. Mar 25, 2008
This has got to be the most delightful, refreshing thing I’ve seen on TV for some years. You go Jill
..............................

Frances, London. Mar 25, 2008
I watched this programme 3 times last night (thank goodness I recorded it). It was Beautiful, Magical, Captivating, I was entralled by it all, from start to finish. I might just watch it again tonight for the feel-good factor it leaves me with. Jill and all the other cast are naturals. This is a fitting tribute to Anthony Minghella.
...............................

Helen, London. Mar 25, 2008
My 13 year old daughter and I loved it, and we cant wait for the series.
I loved Jill Scott’s performance, I have her albums and think she is a brilliant singer, so it was lovely seeing her in this.
..............................

C Sozi from London. Mar 25, 2008
I thought Jill did an excellent job- I am a huge fan of Jill’s so one might say I am biased but as an African, I think she adapted the Botwsana accent extremely well and it was a pleasure to watch her in this role- she was a real, believeable African and this is evidence of her skills as an acteur. Kudos. While I’m at it I should say that I watched Tyler Perry’s “Why did I get married” this weekend too and I thought Jill again was strong in her role; funny too particularly the scene across the table where the guy kisses her and she asks him whether they should pray. Hilarious.
........................................

Neil, Holland. Mar 25, 2008
I’ve just got to echo all the wonderful comments here. I really knew very little about Jill but her fantastic performance in The No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency forced me to search out her site. A fantastic movie, and I hope she will reprise her role in the forthcoming TV series.
......................................

seity, manchester. Mar 25, 2008
Jill’s performance was wonderful, as a motswana woman there couldnt have been a better actress to represent Botswana,sooo beautiful…..cannot wait for the series. i am soo proud that it potrayed everything that Batswana are about, beautiful, polite, friendly and also a bit naughty…Lawrence Dube was also perfect……motswana with pride in manchester
................................

wendy, harlow essex. Mar 25, 2008
loved it. loved it. watching it again today.
...........................

Lisa, London. Mar 25, 2008
Jill, you were amazing in this!! Absolutely loved it!!
............................

Kate. Mar 25, 2008
As a white woman who lived in Africa for 11 years, I absolutely loved No 1 Ladies Detective Agency; It brought tears to my eyes. African woman are not all in rags and downtrodden. They wear lovely clothes and take pride in their appearance and Jill represents them well. The film must resonate with many people who have lived in Africa. Only critics who have never been there won’t understand.
................................

Karen, Denmark. Mar 25, 2008
Dear Jill,
Thank you so much for portraying Mma Ramotswe so beautifully!
You are an exquisite and extremely talented woman and I look forward to enjoying both your acting and vocal talents for many years to come. And being an extremely envious curvaceous woman myself:), might I just add, that you look absolutely FABULOUS!!!
...............................

algie. Mar 25, 2008
i can’t wait for this to air on hbo. i saw that hbo picked it up but the article didn’t say when it was gonna air. they got picked up for 12 episodes or something like that. i know my girl jill killed it
.................................

A Darksus. Mar 25, 2008
No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency was excellent, Jill was perfectly cast as Precious Ramotswe, she looks gorgeous and her accent was spot on!
Congratulations to all cast and crew a fitting tribute to Anthony Minghella. Can’t wait for the series!!
..........................

Mary. Mar 25, 2008
Wow just watched this for the second time in 2 days. Wonderful!!!!! Having read nearly all the books Jill is Precious Ramotswe. Can’t wait for the series. Will be telling all my friends to read/watch to.
...........................

s ann. Mar 25, 2008
Loved this gentle programme, it was absolute quality, gave me some great chuckles, I am going to read the books now, cannot believe I have not heard of them before.
..............................

M Matthews, London. Mar 25, 2008
Really really enjoyed watching the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency tonight on BBC iPlayer. Half way through I said to my girlfriend watching it with me, “that looks exactly like Jill Scott”, but we both thought it couldn’t possibly be. We are both big fans of her and her music, we’d never thought of her as an actress. When the credits rolled at the end and we saw her name, we nearly fell off the sofa!!!! Is there any end to this woman’s talent? Absolutely incredible performance. BRAVO!
..................................

Y. london(f.korea). Mar 26, 2008
Hello, I watched No.1 Ladies Detective on BBC
when I was watching your performance, I was thinking who is the lady, and you was just so lovely !!!!
Long times ago I jot down your name on my old diary, i don’t remember for what.
Anyway, this morning, I opened the diary for some way,and I could see your name.
I searched your name on the internet and I just realized that lovely girl is you !
your songs are fantastic, your voice is so sweet.
I’m so impressed of you.
..........................

Y. london. Mar 26, 2008
you are so lovely !!
...............................

Renee. Mar 26, 2008
I’m a huge fan of the books and of Jill, so I would greatly appreciate if someone knew a website where I could see the movie. I’m not in the UK so the BBC player won’t work. Thanks!
.............................

Aaron & Jessica, Bristol UK. Mar 26, 2008
Saw you in Bristol….loved it!!
Saw you on TV in Botswana….Loved it!!
Thought your performance in “No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency” was tender….powerful….honest!!!
…..please hurry back, soon! x
..............................

K Tunmbi, Dublin. Mar 26, 2008
Brilliant performance, so moved by it, I had to come pay “homage” here. You were natural on the …ladies detective and can’t wait to see the other 12 episodes.
I’m off now to Amazon to get myself a copy of the novel.
Good luck in future endeavours
Kemi.
..........................

Jane, London. Mar 26, 2008
Merlin - big thank you!
Your mention of the BBC iPlayer is a timely reminder that anyone who receives the BBC1 transmissions can watch the programme again up until Saturday!!!
...........................

Lucille, Bristol. Mar 26, 2008
I had the privilege to see Jill live onstage in Bristol and she was amazing. My husband and I (both from West Africa) were really looking forward to The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency and we weren’t disappointed. It was beautifully adapted, shot, and acted.
Bostwana looked great and really reminded me of home. The whole cast was top notch - kudos to Anika Noni Rose who was hilarious as Mma Makutsi, the secretary and David Oyelowo as the sleazy Kremlin Busang. Jill was amazing as Precious Ramotswe, she looked so beautiful and serene and represented black women brilliantly. Oh and did I forget to mention that the girl can act!!!
I’m off to watch it again on BBC iPlayer - can’t wait for the series.
..............................

L Hawkins - Surrey. Mar 26, 2008
what a fantastic watch. Is there gonna be a series???? Lx
...............................

S Els, London. Mar 26, 2008
I love you Jill Scott!
I read Alexander McCall Smith’s book “No 1 Ladies Detective Agency” and was really excited to hear Jill Scott was acting in it.
I absolutely loved it. Jill you were amazing!!! Are you sure you’re not African? You got the accent down girl.
Love ya,
Sara
.............................

Dean,Birmingham. Mar 26, 2008
WOW! You are an extremely beautiful and powerful woman. go Jill.
.............................

B White, London. Mar 26, 2008
Truly fabulous.
Thank you for being so great to our favourite person, Ma Ramotswe. You were perfect and I think everyone who has adored the books will agree.
................................

A Dooley, Michigan. Mar 26, 2008
JILL ( My sista from anotha mutha…….as i like to think)
OH MY……….. I truly loved the movie and understand why HBO is picking it up. Jill is wonderful! I felt all her emotions in her role just as I do in her music. There is nothing that she can’t do well. I didn’t know that my best boyfriend (Idris Elba) was going to be in the movie but and hoo, I wish her the best and I will be bitting my nails waiting for the series…..
................................

Hayez (Peckham London). Mar 26, 2008
Truly one of a kind. fantastic 100% I don’t think there is anything you cant do, and thats why you are my role model, You are 100% the No.1 Lady.
...............................

Chantelle, London. Mar 26, 2008
WOW
this was really good
funny
i cant wait until next year
................................

Gordon and Ann, UK. Mar 27, 2008
I had not heard of this lady before but we were totally entranced by her wonderful performance in this warm and uplifting film. We do hope to see Jill play Precious again. All the very best.
.................................

m littlejohn london. Mar 27, 2008
loved jill in this drama,she was great and got the accent down to a tee……………… well done.Mx
.................................

No comments: