Tuesday 11 March 2008

Tribute to Kasambalala Evarist

Few days ago I received a message that my friend Kasambalala Evarist is no more. The message was from my classmate Kizito Ladslaus, who was Kasambalala's closest friend.

I came to know Kasambalala when he joined my school (MUSS) and became a classmate in Form IB. He from one Secondary School in Bukoba. I can't remember exactly the name of the school he came from, but I do remember the first 'quiz' he gave us in class. It was about pronunciation! He asked some of us in class to pronunciate the word 'anti-interdenominationalist'. It wasn't easy for us! When each of us failed to repeat this word after him, he smiled and laughed -jokingly! Indeed, he was an intelligent, charming and humble boy (or social as others would call it).

He was also a member of scouts at school (where Kizito was the leader).

Kizito and Kasambalala used to call each other 'yellow-man'. I don't know why but I think it is something to do with 'reggae music' because they were good fans of reggae.

In some of the weekends, when we were in Form III Kasambalala and I used to walk a long distance to and from Nyabange, in the outskirts of Musoma town, in order to visit my sister who was working there. We could spend a day there just to change environment and diet (as you know the usual school menu need a change sometimes)!!!

Apart from academics matters where we were always helping each other through discussions, we used to go to class picnics where I remember to have taken a photo with him. The other photo incident with him was after the Form IV graduation ceremony (together with my friends Niva Michael, Koroso Makala and Headmaster Nashon Otieno). And the last occassion to have taken a photo with him was during the graduation night disco, with girls from either Isango, Shirati or Tarime Secondary School.

Just before our National Examination (CSEE) started Kasambalala signed my auto-bio and gave me his postal address. So after exams we left each other for our respective homes!

Later on after the CSEE results, I tried to contact my friend just to know his whereabouts (as you know after the results almost every student is anxious to know others' results and progress)! Luckily enough his mother responded and told me that he was in further education (post Form IV).

Then there was silence and some years passedby. One time I got some news that he was working in Dar but efforts to find him never bore fruits gain!

So that is how it ended.

But, on March 03 this year, unexpectedly, I received an e-mail from Kizito Ladslaus! He was just doing his own research work on-line and 'suprise suprise!' he was directed to this blog! I was happy to hear from him. Then I asked Kizito about Kasambalala and also if he can pass my regeards to him. Unfortunately I received the reply that Kasambalala Evarist died some months/years(?) ago!

1 comment:

MOSONGA RAPHAEL said...

I will always remember my classmates (friends) who have passed away since we left each other!
It was great honour to be in their company and they will always remain in my memories.

Zakayo Richard is my other friend whom I got news about his death! We met at first at MUSS, Form IB then he went on to join the Arts stream in Form III and IV. After two years we met again at N/S (JKT)! According to the news I got, he met his death in the mysterious circumstances in Shinyanga.